Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dora's Dinner

"What's for dinner tonight," The Princess asked. She said she wanted her Dora plate. She's smart enough to know she'll get a semi-normal, well-compartmentalized meal when she mentions and I use the Dora plate. I hate Dora. She's annoying and gives Mexican girls a bad name. (We're not always lost, FYI. I do love her Spanish. It's pretty good.) But, if The Princess likes the plate, it's what we work with. I wonder if The Rockstar wants to use his own plate? Hmm..have to ask him.

Tonight's dinner was yet one of those Oh-Crap-I-Still-Didn't-Go-To-The-Store meals. Yea, I am looking worse and worse on this site, huh? I had all intentions of going grocery shopping today, along with taking The Rockstar to his band practice and making sure The Princess is the next mermaid thanks to her daily swim lessons. I dropped the ball and didn't go. But, not because I didn't make the time, but because I was sleeping this afternoon because Webkinz took over my mind and body last night. I'm addicted and to this day, blame my friends at AAA. (They know who they are.)

Another hodge-podge of meals were on the menu tonight in this house. It was again vegetarian and I know I sound like I deserve some sort of award for that when all my desi friends are sitting there laughing out loud. It's so hard to do it when you're not used to it, so yes, day three of vegetarianism has made me prone to headaches because I'm at a loss. I am, however, getting a lot more creative, better, and I feel good knowing I'm going to survive this no-meat thing.

If my lack of enthusiasm or incessant complaining about the vegetarian thing bothers you, please email my husband. He's my go-to guy for hate mail. He loves when you start emails with the subject line, "Weiner of a husband, I can't stand your wife." Thanks.

Drum roll please...tonight's dinner was...


Horribly Ugly Stir-Fried Rice, Fresh-From-The-Garden Tomatoes, Fresh Strawberries and Bananas, and Yogurt



The meals continue to go from bad to worse, don't they? In an attempt to make a semblance of fried rice, it just all went downhill. I am no good at it, and really wanted to add egg to add the protein, but we are out of eggs. (That whole store anxiety thing I've got going.) So, I did my best to make a sauce that was actually edible. Here's my really bad stir-fry recipe. You know you want it.

2 cups Leftover rice (We used a rice cooker, so it's a bit firm, not mushy)
1 cup frozen peas
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp minced ginger
1/4 cup chopped green onion
2 tbsp lite soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil (adjust to taste, some people use more)
1 pinch cayenne pepper powder

I sauteed the peas in the oil and garlic, and then added the rice and remaining ingredients. Stir well over medium heat and let cook until flavors blend, around 10 minutes.

I love fried rice because I can make it so many ways. I was going to add carrots, broccoli, and some cabbage we have but the kids were hungry LIKE NOW! This is all I made, but at least I felt comfortable in knowing it wasn't overly high in fat and at least the veggies and fruit added some good nutrition.

Thanks to my friend Brenda for the awesome tomatoes. Tomorrow is a pasta dish with the basil she gave us as well as more tomatoes. I'm blessed with good friends who have good gardens and fresh produce. Sometimes when I eat things straight from the garden, as cheesy as it is, it reminds me of the beauty God has provided us in this world. Reminds me to be thankful!

The Rockstar: Loved it all.
The Man: Ate something else. It was his leftover rice I used.
The Princess: Loved it and ate it all!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Sounds yummy to me! My kids just discovered fried rice ,but I haven't tried making it yet. We never seem to have rice leftover--guess I need to make more of it at a time!