Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dora's Dinner

Mediterranean night! Well, that's what it turned out to be. Really, when does a mom even find time to get groceries, cook fancy-schmancy meals, and allow for some sleep or well-needed Internet blog-reading time? You catch my drift. We're out.of.food.

When we're out of food, mom becomes super-duper creative! I lean into my freezer and check all the frozen veggies. I then check my pantry, which has its share of canned goods, old rice, and old Splenda packets. Today's meal is brought to you by the letter D for Desperate, M for Mind-boggling-as-t0-how-I-did-it, and V for victory. I consider a victory a meal where no one got violently ill, no one made that Oh-no-pasta-again! face, and where I got most of the food groups represented. I say most because, yea, my kids are normal and most of the vitamins and minerals tend to stick to the bottom of the chair. Or in their hair. Or in mine. Okay, I digress.

Mediterranean Hodge-Podge of Items I Need to Use by 7/17/2007 according to the FDA



Really, there is no recipe I have but I over-did it on the grains. Tabbouleh and couscous are just too much but hey, the fridge is gross, yo. I need to make sure to clear some stuff out! Yea for glycemic shock, huh? Actually, everyone lived and I did try to add a protein to balance by adding hummus. Next time, I'll make falafel and tzadzkiki sauce instead of carrots and hummus.

Pictured: Artichoke hearts sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and topped with Parmesan Cheese, Baby Carrots with hummus, Tabbouleh, and couscous.

The Rockstar: Didn't like tabbouleh but loved artichokes.
The Man: Liked all but tabbouleh.
The Princess: Loved it all! YEA!!



No comments: