Saturday, February 2, 2008

Confessions of an ex-Webkinz Mom

I despise Webkinz. I also despise the Internet for kids. I used to embrace it and hell, my own Master's thesis was on how technology in small amounts could be good for kids of certain ages. I am so very wrong and the devil himself lies in that damned Webkinz site.

I hate the mom I became when I got a Webkinz for The Princess. She asked for one and I had no problem with her wanting to go online and play games. I knew I was in trouble when the webpage was always down for "upgrades" or "repairs." I'm married to a techie, so I know these terms well.

I wasn't prepared for the million of snot-infested meltdowns my daughter would have because she couldn't feed Furry Girl (her Webkinz toy) and because of that, she'd die that night and no one, not one person could save her! How would I convince The Princess that this isn't reality? I explained the website concept but to a five year-old, Furry Girl was her baby and she was neglecting her baby when the website was down, which for us, is daily.

Ganz has not, to this day, replied to 19 of my emails. I'm embarrassed to say I sent emails asking why her rooms were deleted, along with 4000 kinz cash points. When did that become so important to me? I didn't like that person.

I didn't like how other moms would play checkers with me and they'd get all, "oh it's on" when they played checkers, and I'd be all "good move" but really, I was thinking, "I'm a 33 year-old and you're an adult as well and here we are, pathetically fucking around in a kid's checkers game so our kids' FAKE animals can buy ugly ass t-shirts."

It was entertaining, but I could tell some parents got pissed when I would win in the Tournament Area, especially the Super Modelz game, because that's how I roll. I love me some whacky fashion!


Webkinz has taught me that no matter what, my kid benefits 100x more by playing outside in the grass, with snot running down her face and little pieces of hair sticking to her face thanks to the said snot. Sitting in front of a computer taught her to play checkers with someone's mom or dad, and that if something went wrong with the site, everything she worked for will one day vanish and she'll let Furry Girl die a horrible death.

My daughter did learn that Furry Girl had a hell of a lot more fun sitting on a beach in Dubai, with the Burj hotel on one side, the beautiful sea on the other. Furry Girl loved the flight on Air France and enjoyed play-eating lamb and mango desserts. Furry Girl loved being in the train in South India and loved riding in autorickshaws. She loved playing with friends in Oman, and loved coming back home to Texas in a long flight, keeping the Princess company every step of the way.

No computer could ever replace that experience Furry Girl had. Traveling the world kicked SO MUCH MORE ASS than Goober's Lab and Quizzy's Word Challenge, people.


Furry Girl sitting on a train from Bangalore to Coimbatore, India

2 comments:

Ann said...

I (well, we) have luckily not been sucked into the Webkinz world...H&H's internet experience is limited to PBS Kids at this point!

heathero said...

Congrats I haven't even gotten caught up in that fearful of the same reaction you've seen. Now Disney princesses or Hannah. Jenna love cd rom games Blue's or Giant Basics