Friday, March 14, 2008

Bulk-Item/Warehouse Stores

We had a membership to Sam's Club a couple of years ago. We rarely used it because we live too far from the store. (I hate that we live too far from A LOT of things!) However, this week I renewed my membership and think we did okay.

Granted, I didn't find tomatoes, some fruit, and couldn't fathom buying an almost gallon of cottage cheese, I loved the sales I got. I really scored on a few things:
  • 40 slices of lunchmeats (Sargento's) for 8.00 (turkey, ham, roast beef)
  • 40 slices of swiss, provolone, and colby cheese for 8.00
  • fruit snacks for 6.00 (24 LARGE bags of snacks!)
  • chicken for minimal amounts
  • a huge beef shoulder used for ropa vieja for 10.00
  • shampoos for 5.00 and will last us probably 2-3 months

All in all, I think the membership will pay itself off quite well. I have always wondered why they don't take Visa or American Express, but do take Discover and Mastercard, or debit/cash. I love the concept of bulk items for lunch snacks and non-perishables but things that can go bad quickly may not be ideal for this family.

1 comment:

meera said...

hmmm i have membership but i rarely go there cos i hate to buy all these things in huge quantities,besides as you said they dont take cards,which i hate.
hey how r u doing;).i buy only parboiled rice from there;)